Friday, January 31, 2014

Countdown to Valentine's Day


I love the anticipation of a countdown – whether it’s celebrating the Advent at Christmastime or checking off the days before a vacation, the joy of what’s to come makes me as giddy as a child. And it doesn’t take much to get a child excited about each new day… mine, at least!


When something as practical *wink* as a Valentine’s countdown can double as decoration for my dining room, I’m all about it! So here is how I created my Valentine’s bunting/countdown.


My supplies: cutesy scrapbook paper and stickers from Hobby Lobby, a handmade crocheted heart garland from my sister-in-law, vintage postcards collected from antique shops, mini clothespins and vintage Air Mail envelopes from Etsy.

This year, while continuing in our tradition, I decided to stray away from the extra clutter and sweets that I tend to fill my daughters’ advent gifts with and instead make our countdown to Valentine’s Day more about the experiences.


I wrote down 14 different things for us to do, while looking at my calendar and planning things that would realistically work for us and around our schedule.


I used the number stickers to easily add the 14 days leading up to Valentine’s Day, from February 1st when we’ll begin our countdown, to the envelopes and then filled them with the activity cards.

I should also note that I didn’t seal the envelopes so if something comes up and I have to switch things around, I don’t have to do much work. Also, I made myself a “key” so that I’m not surprised with something like “making marshmallows” without having the ingredients ready to go.


With a few pieces of tape, I strung up my garland and added in all the goodies to fill it out. 

Is it February yet??


Enjoy!
Jessica

No comments:

Post a Comment